I’m always trying to find life lessons in the surrounding things. No matter what we do, every action in life can teach us something. From mistakes, we learn not to repeat them, and victories we put into the category of positive experiences, which should be repeated and improved. Some situations in life are inherently educational. Sometimes, however, we have to read between the lines. One of those things that carry a clear and visible lesson about life is Jiu-Jitsu. Here’s what lessons you can learn from this martial art.
- Losses are part of life. But you know that only if you fight and cope with your problems. Losses are part of everyone’s life. They are not always a bad thing. People learn best from their own mistakes. You can choose two paths – to sit back and complain, or try to fight for the victory. To win, you need to know how to skip mistakes. The experience can be very helpful in that.
- Nobody is invincible. Jiu-Jitsu is a martial art that does not require only physical strength. Mental readiness and mastered combat techniques are essential. At the right time, with the right moves, even the strongest opponents can be beaten by the weakest parties. You must know to wait your 5 minutes.
- Patience is the key to success. As I said, the biggest obstacle can be overcome with the right move at the right time. This can be applied to all life situations. Sometimes, to wait for that moment, we need a lot of patience. Success rarely comes overnight. This is usually a luck. If we rely only on the luck, then we will be quickly discouraged. Hard work and patience always bring success!
- You can always be better. No one is invincible and nobody is perfect, not even you. Through hard training, you can always be better. You can learn the basic techniques of catching and throwing the grappling dummies like these. However, for further progress, the fight with a man is the best thing, because humans and their reactions are hardly predictable.
- It’s never too late to learn new things. It is best to learn Jiu-Jitsu from an early age. Then it becomes a lifestyle. However, the techniques of Jiu-Jitsu can be managed and when you are older. They can be applied for a long time, only if you have enough will and persistence.
- The commitment is the way to the goal. To be devoted to something, it is necessary to make a decision and have a goal. It is easier to accomplish something when you have a goal, but when you wander without purpose. Every fight is a good example of that. Your goal is to overcome the opponent. When you observe its fighting style, you’ll find its weak points. You need to make a decision at what moment you will take the initiative and win the fight. Jiu-Jitsu is the training of decision-making.
All these things can all be used in combat. You do not have to be especially insightful to realize that they can also be applied in all aspects of life – from relationships with people to making business decisions. Jiu-Jitsu can give you valuable life lessons and make you a better man.